Photo Credit: www.walmart.com
Let me just start this by saying that I am a mother who believes whole heartedly in pacifiers! When my son was born I tried to breastfeed him for the first little while. When I think about this time in my life two words come flashing in my mind: Cluster. Feeding.
What is Cluster Feeding?
- Cluster feeding is a breastfeeding pattern displayed when a baby groups several feedings closer together at a certain point in the day. Basically, the baby eats a bunch of small feedings in one big spurt. Some babies will eat a large feeding, then space out their next feeding hours later. With cluster feeding, however, the baby may nurse several times very close together. More often than not, cluster feedings occur in the evening hours during the baby's fussy period. During this time, the baby will demand to be fed several times over the course of a few hours. For the mother it may feel as if she is breastfeeding her baby so frequently that he is constantly hungry for period of a few hours.
- Cluster feeding is more commonly seen in newborn babies, but in slightly older infants may cluster feed as well during a growth spurt. These bunch feedings serve the purpose of helping to build the mother's milk supply and of increasing the baby's daily calorie intake. As the baby ramps up his evening feedings, it may allow him to have a longer stretch of uninterrupted nighttime sleep.
Definition Credit: www.verywell.com
I can't say how it is for every newborn, but for mine sucking was and still is what soothes him the best. Every time he would do this soothing sucking motion with his mouth in the hospital some nurse would automatically lay my child on my chest and say he's probably hungry try feeding him. Feeding him constantly got very tiring. Hospitals these days are very much into "natural" stuff for babies, or at least the hospital I gave birth in was therefore they would never flat out say "try giving him a paci."
One night though Noah would just not stop wanting to suck at things, and it didn't matter what it was. The nurse finally looked at me and goes "you did not hear this from me but I would give him a paci because it will give you a break and him the comfort he is searching for." My husband and I were exhausted so we decided to try it. Noah really benefited from it. From that moment on I have firmly believed in pacis. I have had doctors even tell me to try them when he was going through a bad cluster feeding time. The pacis helped him adjust to live outside of the womb, he still uses them now at about three and a half months old but he is using them less and less. Every baby is different but for my son, pacis were the way to go so my opinion on that is do not knock using a paci until you have tried it.

Comments
Post a Comment